Jasper Hill Apprentices are driven to do their best. The work is physical, fast-paced and mentally stimulating. An Apprentice splits their time between cheese making at one of our two creameries and caring for cheese at the Cellars. This role starts early, most of the time is spent cleaning, and it requires working at least one weekend day. Someone who enjoys fast paced production work can find deep satisfaction in creating a delicious product with a team that works well together. Be a part of a team that has a sense of purpose and pride in the work they do, while learning a skill.
· Cleaning and sanitizing all cheese making and cheese care equipment
· Following established protocols for cheese quality and food safety
· Use of pH meter, moisture analyzer, and other technical equipment
· Safely operate and clean all cheese care equipment
· Record keeping to maintain cheese inventory database
· General cheese care: receiving, turning, and wrapping
· Maintain a clean working environment
· Ability to think ahead to plan workflow
· Stamina to keep moving
· Ability to continually improve the process
· Able to learn quickly, ask questions, share concerns, seek answers, problem solve
· Detail- and process-oriented
· Ability to work on your feet for long stretches, and lift 60+ pounds
· Excellent communication skills
· Two years of production work or physical labor preferred
· Chemistry, Microbiology or culinary studies preferred
· Love of cheese is a plus!
· This position is 40-45 hours a week and lasts 6-9 months
· Opportunity to participate in events to network with the larger cheese community
· Ability to participate in all aspects of the Jasper Hill Family of Businesses
· Additional educational opportunities when available
· Housing provided as a non-monetary employment benefit
Email us at email@example.com to submit your resumé and 3 references.