The Lead Cheesemaker is both a leader and educator for our dynamic cheesemaking team. They bring managerial skills and a strong cheesemaking background to promote and maintain a positive, forward-thinking workplace, while continuing the ongoing education and professional growth of our team.
This is a complex role, with responsibilities including cheesemaking, food safety, administration, and staff training for our creamery team. The Creamery Manager is a lead in the make room, and is responsible for the cheesemaking team's schedule and performance. Administrative duties include generating our annual budget and production plan, with the support of our broader admin and sales teams.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead Cheesemaker
- Manage cheesemaking team, oversee make process
- Able to foresee issues, make corrections as needed to improve cheese quality
- Follow-up with affinage and tasting teams, report on quality to creamery staff
- Food Safety
- Follow all SOPs, food safety requirements and guidelines
- Oversee management of food safety plan and JHC HACCP plan
- Administrative Responsibilities
- Work with management team to create annual 2-year Fiscal & Production Plan
- Manage production calendar; track labor hours, PTO
- Manage staff performance reviews; responsible for hiring, firing
- Engage with Open Book Finance process (training available)
- Work with Project Manager and Owners on capital projects
- Responsible for training all new employees & interns, including food safety and chemical safety protocols
- Engage positively and politely with visitors, new staff, interns
- Take advantage of teachable moments in every day
- Strong technical cheesemaking skills and understanding of cheese chemistry
- Understanding of milk quality and its effects on cheese quality
- Food Safety and HACCP training preferred
- Strong leadership and communication skills, ability to work with and direct a team in a respectful, cooperative manner
- Interest in ongoing internal education
- Strong computer skills
- Able to: share concerns, ask questions, seek information/answers, problem solve
- This is a physical position requiring work on your feet for long stretches and regularly lifting 50 pounds.
- Compensation starts at $40-55k/year, depending on experience. We offer a competitive benefits package including Health Insurance and PTO for full-time employees.
TO APPLY EMAIL WORK@JASPERHILLFARM.COM