Jasper Hill’s microbiologist is a problem solver who grows cultures for cheesemaking, tests milk for quality, and identifies the microbes of our milk, cheese, and environment in support of our curiosity and drive to produce the highest quality product possible. This position assists us in our scientific approach to cheese making and ripening.
The right candidate will have strong lab experience, the ability to follow rigid protocols and experience in DNA extraction and amplification. This role is ideal for a person with a background in biotechnology, applied biology or molecular biology who is independently motivated. The microbiologist works with all parts of the Jasper Hill Family of Businesses. A positive working relationship with the farmers, cheesemakers, owners, and affineurs of Jasper Hill is essential to the success of this role.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Planning, executing, and summarizing research projects
- Growing cultures for cheesemaking
- Preparation of media
- DNA extraction and amplification
- Data organization and analysis
- Ensuring routine maintenance of lab equipment
- Previous experience in molecular biology and microbiology
- Well developed data organization and management
- Experience with basic bioinformatics (BLAST searching, DNA sequence alignments)
- Research and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently without supervisor support and work as team when appropriate