The Cellar Worker is a cheese care position, working among our seven temperature- and humidity-controlled underground aging vaults. We start with young cheese from the creamery, and provide individual care to develop the intended rind and paste quality. Some of our products spend only two weeks in our vaults before being wrapped, while others age on the shelf for up to a year. This is a hands-on position requiring a lot of time on your feet, strong communication with coworkers and supervisors, and a desire to learn about the artisan cheesemaking process. Some weekend work is required.
Cellar Workers care for a variety of products and may work independently or as part of a team. We pride ourselves on an immaculate work environment in accordance with our food safety protocols and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs). Jasper Hill offers relevant on-the-job training, including an ongoing internal education program. Cheese-specific knowledge can be learned on the job, but employees must supply curiosity and the initiative to seek out information.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- General cheese care: washing, turning, patting, wrapping cheese as needed
- Maintain a clean working environment; contribute to ongoing cleaning & maintenance schedules
- Communicate cheese and cave needs to coworkers, supervisors, cheesemakers
- Follow all food safety protocols and GMPs
- Record keeping & data entry for product make sheets, food safety records
- Assist training visitors, interns, and new employees
KNOWLEDGE & SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Detail- and process-oritented, food follow-through
- Able to: learn quickly, ask questions, share concerns, seek information/answers, problem solve
- Able to work independently or with a team
- Computer literate
- Love of artisan cheese is a plus!
- This is a physical position. Must be able to stand all day, bend, kneel, and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Position is 40 hours/week
- Compensation $12.50/hour, DOE. We offer a competitive benefits package including Health Insurance, 401K, and PTO for full-time employees
PLEASE SUBMIT COMPLETED APPLICATIONS TO: WORK@JASPERHILLFARM.COM