FAQ & shipping policy
Below are answers to some frequently asked questions about our business, products, and ordering our cheese online. If you have a question that isn't answered here, please don't hesitate to contact us.
Can I come visit?
Unfortunately our farm is not open to the public. We have a rigorous food safety plan which makes bringing visitors into the facility quite challenging; additionally our facility does not meet fire code requirements for public tours. If you're in the area, please look for our cheese at Willey's General Store.
If you are a culinary professional who works with our cheese and would like to schedule an appointment, you can do so here.
What is the best way to store cheese at home?
Cheese is alive! You want it to be able to breathe, but not dry out. We recommend storing cheese in its original wrapper or a fresh sheet of waxed/parchment paper, then in a resealable container such as a tupperware or plastic bag. Wrapped cheese can also be stored in your refrigerator's vegetable bin, where it's more humid. We do not recommend using plastic wrap for long-term storage without a barrier layer to protect the cheese from off flavors.
We don't recommend freezing cheese - it will alter the texture, and may pick up off flavors.
How much cheese should I serve?
Our rule of thumb is about 1.5 ounces of cheese per person, total. For example, if you're serving 3 cheeses for a party of 100 people, you'll want about 9 pounds of cheese on hand - 3 pounds of each cheese.
If cheese is the only food being served, you can increase this allowance to 2 ounces per person; likewise if there will be many other foods you can get away with 1 ounce per person. (As a reference, 1 ounce is a typical serving of string cheese.)
What's the best way to serve cheese?
The best way to serve cheese is however you best like to eat it! That said, here are some tips:
- Let the cheese come to room temperature before serving. Depending on the ambient room temperature, this could mean letting it sit out for 30-60 minutes. Keep the cheese wrapped during this time, unwrapping shortly before serving.
- Choose cheeses with a variety of textures and flavors. We often suggest something firm, something soft, and something blue.
- 3-5 cheeses is a great number for a cheese board. More than that can be confusing or overwhelming for the palate.
- When pairing with food, look for contrast & harmony. Acidic foods like pickles or fruit are great with rich, buttery cheeses; sweet preserves or dried fruit pair beautifully with blue cheese or tangy, lactic cheeses. Very strong foods may overwhelm very mild cheeses, and vice versa - look for balanced intensity and contrasting flavors.
- Leftover cheese can be stored re-wrapped in its original paper, in a resealable container or your refrigerator's vegetable crisper.
Do you offer volume discounts?
Yes. We offer two tiers of volume discount for orders totaling over 10 or over 15 pounds of cheese, respectively. These are calculated automatically when placing an order through our website. These discounts are only valid for orders shipping to a single address.
How are your cheeses shipped?
Our cheese packages are shipped via UPS for next-day arrival. The cheese is packed in an insulated pouch, with sylvacurl wood fluff and an ice pack to keep it cool during its journey to you.
What are your shipping rates?
As we send everything perishable for next-day delivery, shipping is one of our biggest expenses. We do our best to absorb some of these costs and keep the price to you as low as possible. To do this, we vary our shipping costs based on order size and destination:
- Within VT, NH, MA, CT, RI and ME, we offer FREE shipping for orders over $50 and $8 shipping for orders under $50.
- To NY and NJ, shipping is $15 for orders under $30, $10 for orders under $50, and $8 for orders under $100.
- To the rest of the continental US, shipping is $20 for orders under $30; $15 for orders under $50, and $10 for orders under $100.
- To AK and HI, shipping is $40 at any order size.
- Orders over $100 ship for FREE anywhere in the continental US.
- NONPERISHABLE items ship UPS Ground for a $5 flat rate, unless combined with a perishable item wherein the rules above apply to the entire order. Nonperishable orders totaling over $100 qualify for free shipping.
Once I've placed my order, when should I expect to receive the cheese?
We ship Monday through Thursday, for next-day deliveries Tuesday through Friday. Orders received by 10am EST M-Th will ship that day for a next-day delivery. If your order comes in after 10am on Thursday or over the weekend, it will be shipped on the following Monday. We do not currently offer a Saturday delivery option.
During the holiday season or other peak times, we may require additional days to process your order.
How should I expect the cheese to look on arrival?
It's normal for cheese to warm a bit in transit, even when traveling with an ice pack. After all, cheese is a preserved food, originally meant to be kept out of refrigeration!
Upon arrival, the ice pack will have thawed but the cheese should still feel cool to the touch. The paper may be a bit damp with condensation, but this will dry out quickly in the fridge. If you have any concerns about the condition of your cheese, refrigerate right away and take stock a few hours later. If at that time you still have concerns, take a picture and let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
What's up with the smell?
Natural-rind cheeses can be fragrant! These aromas are concentrated when sealed in a small box, and might seem strong when you first open it. Rest assured that the intensity will dissipate when refrigerated or otherwise allowed to air out.
Some cheeses are naturally stronger in aroma than others, most commonly washed-rind cheeses like Winnimere, Willoughby, or Oma. Bloomy-rind cheeses like Harbison or Moses Sleeper can take on a brassica vegetable aroma at peak ripeness. The flavor of strong-smelling cheeses is often very different from the aroma.
Do your packages require a signature on delivery?
No. UPS will leave most packages upon delivery if there is a safe place to do so. In our experience, requiring a signature leads to delivery delays, and each extra day in transit is another day out of refrigeration.
What is your return policy?
We want you to have a great experience with our cheese, and will do everything possible to make sure orders are accurate and shipped in a timely manner. As cheese is a perishable item, we strongly advise making sure someone will be available to receive the shipment - this means letting gift recipients know to expect a perishable package. If you're unhappy with the product you receive, we will replace or refund your order.
We are not responsible for damaged or spoiled product due to the following:
- Incorrect delivery addresses
- Unopened shipments
- Gifts to recipients who are out of town or unable to receive shipments
We will work with UPS to replace any product damaged as a result of a delayed shipment (e.g. inclement weather; mechanical failure).
Can I ship cheese to multiple addresses on a single order?
Not at this time - this is a feature we hope to add to our new e-commerce store when there's a straightforward way to do so! In the meantime, each shipment must be processed as a separate order. We're happy to help with this process - give us a call at 802.533.2566 or email email@example.com to contact one of our service team members.